Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Wonderful World of the X Factor!

Right, so if you know me at all you will know I am a sucker for reality shows, after convincing myself I was done with them when Idol turned to crap and well nobody watches Australia's Got Talent, I thought I was free from everything and then X Factor comes along....Dammit! I remembered when they tried to do X Factor in 2004 and I of course was hooked then (I was 14, leave me alone) but it got no ratings and retired after 1 year! They re-invented themselves this year and I have to say it's great! I know this post should have been done a long time ago but better late than never right! I was pleasantly surprised with the choice of Judges, bar Kyle Sandilands because he is a freaking joke, but the other 3 are all professional singers and respectable ones at that! And of course Kyle gets given my favourite group ARGH!

Okay so my top 3 contestants this season:

Mitchell Smith is a 16 year old from Byron Bay who won over all tweens hearts earlier this year with his audition on X Factor, he sung Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol and let me say even though its pretty gross me being 4 years older than him (http://lilmissyrissy.blogspot.com/2010/10/cradle-snatching-vs-grave-robbing.html) this song started to win me over, it wasn't until the top 6 boys went to New York when he started to really shine in my book Then he hit the live shows and Kyle destroyed any chance he had at success in the competition with the wrong song choice week in week out. Week 1 came along and he was told to sing 'Umbrella' by Rhianna, are you f*cking kidding me Kyle??? Anyways, he obviously got bad comments from the judges, then came week 2 and a chance to redeem himself...he appeared on the stage riding a skateboard (Major WIN) and then began to sing Justin Bieber's 'Baby' haha of course I loved it, as did most 12-16 year old girls around the country, unfortunately this isn't his niche and so he got butchered for it, apparently Kyle only knows of commercial crap. Week 3 came along and he sang Mr Big's 'To Be With You' I was so keen for this performance, a classic song and he did a pretty good attempt at it! Week 4 he sang 'Forever' by Chris Brown, I think this was his best performance to date besides his audition, he had choreography, and sung it well! Unfortunately this is where his journey ended, and yes I cried like a god damn little school girl, but what can you do? I think this was the biggest shock in the competition so far because he has so many fans out there but I guess this week their parents said no to wasting money on votes :) I hope he finishes school and then starts a career doing the right genre and still being his pretty skater self!






My next favourite is Luke & Joel, brothers from Newcastle Luke post-poned his wedding to go on the show! These guys are hilarious and I believe they could be Australia's answer to Good Charlotte or the next Temper Trap! Joel is the prominent singer and Luke feels most comfortable when behind his guitar! They had a rocky start to the competition with being in the bottom 2 in the first week, but after singing Coldplay's 'Fix You' they impressed the judges and began to find their feet in the competition, they have had 2 stand out performances, 1 being Mumford and Sons 'Little Lion Man' and Foo Fighters 'Best Of You' both of these songs will leave you thinking that shit like these guys are going somewhere! My personal fav's are Aerosmith's 'I don't wanna miss a thing' , The Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't it be nice' and Good Charlotte's 'Lifestyles of the rich and famous' because those songs are amazing and they killed them! They made the bottom 2 last week and sung U2's 'Where the streets have no name' and this proved they have what it takes to go all the way. One other thing you need to see if you haven't already, on the Xtra Factor these guys do a little sketch where they have some sort of argument while driving the car around Fox Studios, there are some classic moments in there like when India Rose joined them and a panda bear got in the car and jumped on her. If that doesn't convince you how awesome they are, will the fact that they skate?




My third and possibly most favourite is Andrew Lawson, this 18 year old crooner is simply put amazing! From day dot he has been impressing people, his audition of 'Fly me to the moon' was perfect, and if that failed his charm would have gotten him through by itself! Another one who has been stuck with Kyle who only knows crap gave him Rhianna's 'Don't stop the music' and it was luck that Andrew was smart enough to make a semi-jazz version of the song. I believe he is one of the biggest contenders in this competition, with only making one mistake so far in regards to song choice, during rock week when Kyle claimed that if the song has the word rock in it that must mean its a rock song, ala Crocodile Rock by Elton John, I've mentioned my hate for Kyle right? Anyways, during the Xtra Factor Andrew said that he wishes he never did that song because when people You Tube his name that will come up HA! Some of his awesome performances include 'Heartache Tonight' by The Eagles, 'Sunday Morning' by Maroon 5 and 'Wherever You Will' Go by The Calling but my top 2 from him are Harry Connick Jnr's '(I Could Only) Whisper Your Name' and Wet Wet Wet's 'Love is all around'. This dude better win, my votes are paying off so far, although if he doesn't win it may turn out better for him being that he doesn't turn into something manufactured! Oh and did I mention he is a skater? haha







So ridicule me if you must but I don't care, while you are off making fun of X Factor I am watching raw talent getting ripped up :) You rarely get to see raw talent anymore, so this is a privilege to watch it before it turns sour, these days it's lost before you even hit the studio. If you see the video for 'Lords Of Foxtown' anywhere on youtube please watch it and send me the link, it's so funny and includes all of the above! Watch X Factor, don't talk to me about Altiyan and go skateboarding! :D

ANDREW & LUKE & JOEL FTW!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment