Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Memoirs of a moron...

Okay so previously I reported about my clumsiness and running into the open screen door and hurting my hand, well I have discovered that the most affected part of my body is my hands, they are always getting hurt one way or another, lets see whats happened all in the past 2 months! 

The screen door incident, constantly pinching my fingers in between my work chair and the desk, last weekend I burnt my finger into a lovely big blister, and of course the knifing incident. 

I never explained on here about the whole incident mainly due to lack of hand movement therefore lack of typing skills. Basically late September I stayed at the lovely Sarah's place, Saturday morning woke up and got ready for work, said farewell before heading out, I also asked her for some scissors to cut the cable ties off my new shoes so I could wear them to work! She said they were in the kitchen so off I headed, after not being able to find them I decided to use a knife, it was fairly blunt and I was being a little bit careful but after taking forevvs to cut I opted to use a butchers knife for the last one as I was running late for work, needless to say this cut much quicker than the other knife, it also managed to cut into my hand to create a blood fountain in Sarah's kitchen! 

I yelled out to her and she bolted down the stairs, I was standing in the middle of the kitchen with my right hand trying to put pressure on the cut, it was still going everywhere, and we had a moment of just staring at each other saying what do we do? I don't know back and forth, I remember yelling out pressure, and so Sarah got a tea towel and we just shoved it on there, then she left me and ran upstairs, then she came back on the phone calling her brother who is an ambo and he instructed her to get a tea towel and make it damp then to get me to sit down, I pretty much just fell to the ground, broke out in a sweat and thought I was either going to faint or throw up. Sarah got me to sit there holding the tea towel on while she quickly cleaned the floorboards, and the white cupboard doors, and the bench, then she put her phone on speaker and got me to dial a cab while she got dressed. 

We reached the hospital in record time and going into triage they told me everything that could happen, the part that scared me was when she started talking about nerve damage and possible need for plastic surgery, all I was thinking was its just a freaking cut what are you talking about? The other nurses about were really friendly and told us about when Masterchef is on they constantly get people in who think they can cook, then they would ask me what I was cooking and I had to reply that I wasn't! 

After about an hour of waiting time I went in to see the doctor, he said I wasn't going to need stitches and then started prodding around my palm seeing how deep and if there was nerve damage, the pain from that is unexplainable and I said to the doctor that the room was getting really blurry (I think due to the fact that when he started to clean it I could see inside my hand), he asked if I felt sick and I didn't so he kept cleaning it up, next thing I know the doctor was waking me up, I had fallen back onto the bed and blacked out. That right there is the scariest thing that's ever happened in my life. He got me back to an upright position, finished bandaging up my hand and instructed me to go wait in the chair for a tetanus shot. 

He went and got Sarah from the waiting room and later on she was telling me how scared she was when a doctor came out going 'Sarah?' and then just waving her in, I just sat there wishing I was in a bed.

Once the shot was finished and we were allowed to leave we headed to McDonalds for breakfast and then headed back to her place, I was fine at this stage and just drinking as much water as I could, and then headed home for a nap (which I never got due to the AFL grand final, the game was too close to not be screaming at the tv) Mum was down in Canberra so she wasn't there to nurse me, I ended up going to the pub to watch the footy and that numbed my pain plenty. 

I need to thank Sarah for like remaining calm through everything as it was a real scary day and getting me to the hospital, calling my boss and my mum and making sure everything was fine! I don't even have words to express how amazing she was that day. 

Since then it took just over a month to get my pinky finger to go straight by itself, it took about 3 weeks to make a fist and even then it was a weak one, it took about a month to be able to type with my pinky again and even to this day I can't put pressure onto my palm so I'm hoping that heals up soon!!! 

Moral of the story kiddies, don't use knifes for anything, especially cutting cable ties off shoes. 

Oh and let me just add, the first part of this blog took forever to type, why? Because I kept remembering the sensation and getting chills all over, almost like I could feel it again in my hand! Dammit! 

And I feel quite sick now....awesome!


This is what the situation kind of looked like
...except replace the shoes with vans :)

No comments:

Post a Comment